Salads don't need to be boring and they are so quick to prepare any time. (Make sure you include the ingredients in your weekly shop so they are always to hand). I have used smoked salmon here as it is always good to get an oily fish into your diet at least once a week but you can use lean cooked meats, non-smoked salmon fillets (cook a couple in advance and keep handy in the fridge). The fatty acids in salmon won't make you fat!
- 100-150g Smoked Salmon
- Sweet Vine Ripened Tomatoes (kept out of the fridge!)Mixed lettuce (baby greens, herb salads - the more colourful the better) NOT iceberg!
- Nuts - a handful of cashews and or almonds
- Seeds - a dessert spoon of mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Tablespoon of dried cranberries or mixed dried fruit
- Dressing of your choice (2 teaspoons)
- Make a bed of the lettuce mix and arrange smoked salmon slices on top.
- Quarter the tomatoes and arrange on lettuce.
- Sprinkle nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
- With the dressing make sure you measure it and sprinkle it to make it go further.
- Make sure ingredients are not straight from the fridge as salads are best served at room temperature for flavour.
- The more colourful the lettuce mix the better nutritionally and tastier - iceberg doesn't do it.
- Be careful with the dressing - easy to overdo, and sprinkle it don't pour it!