Introduction: I have put this recipe in here although its hardly a recipe – more of a cooking idea. It’s a one pot dish, cooked in the oven ideal to prepare in bulk and then freeze or refrigerate portions to have ready when needed. Beef is used here – so use only the leanest stewing/casserole beef and only have once or twice a week – keep extra portions in freezer to use a over a number of weeks. Could also use chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces.
Ingredients: ( 5-6 servings)
1Kg lean casserole/stewing beef cut into 1/1.5” pieces
2 large onions, sliced or about 10 shallots
3-4 large carrots
2 courgettes (zucchini)
2 large sweet potatoes if using for carb meals
Other green veg such as green beans
Beef or vegetable stock to cover
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1.5 teaspoon each of ground turmeric, cumin and coriander
And or 2 teaspoon curry powder
Mixed dried herbs
Chilli powder or cayenne pepper, ground or fresh ginger
NOTE: These ingredients are suggestions – experiment using different veg options and different seasoning. This is a guide only to how to make your diet more interesting.
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 6/7 or about 200C/400F
- Use a large oven proof dish and lay the onions/shallots and carrots on base.
- Cover with meat portions (and sweet potato if using)
- Sprinkle favoured seasonings over this and add enough stock to cover, but not too much as liquid will also come from the veg
- Cover and place dish in oven. After about 30 minutes or when bubbling nicely, turn down heat to about Gas Mark 4/5 or 180C/350F
- Cook for up to another 1.5 to 2 hours adding other green veg nearer end of cooking time so they don’t over cook. E.G. Lay a few tender-stem broccoli on top just 10-15 minutes before serving to save cooking separately.