Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 800g skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200g carrot cut into slices
- 1 large red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 4 sticks of celery thinly sliced
- 1-2 green chillies to taste (birds eye or equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained (OPTIONAL)
- Approx. 500ml chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons pesto (see below)
Ingredients for Pesto: (can be kept in fridge for about 2 weeks)
- 25g pine nuts
- Fresh basil
- 25g grated parmesan
- 75ml olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and chicken; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add carrot, bell pepper, and celery; sauté 4 minutes.
- Add chillies and the rest of the seasoning (oregano, cumin, salt, pepper)
- Add beans if using; add sufficient stock to cover and bring mixture to boil
- Cover pan and reduce to low heat; simmer for about 30 mins.
- When ready to serve stir in the pesto – just 1-2 teaspoons per serving are enough and really make this dish. Don’t overdo the pesto as can easily take you over your allowances for fats. NOTE: If you are making large quantities of this dish and storing some for later or freezing, only add pesto to each portion as serving.
To make pesto:
- Heat a small pan over a low heat.
- Cook the pine nuts until golden, shaking occasionally.
- Put all ingredients in food processor and process until smooth, then season.
- Use as needed and store leftovers in fridge