A really quick and easy one. Can be adapted for how much carbs you are including in your diet. For no carbs serve with healthy green veg. For carbs, cook some fresh penne pasta separately in boiling water for 7-8 minutes, drain and fold into the sauce. (If using dried pasta increase cooking time as needed until al dente or as preferred)
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 2 Chicken breasts (about 150g each)
- 2 medium red onion, chopped
- 500-750 grams of fresh tomatoes chopped (sweeter the better - on the vine, sweet cherry, etc.)
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Penne pasta, fresh or dried as desired. (Optional)Method:
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces
- Season with salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in wok or non stick frying pan until very hot, just smoking
- Add chicken pieces and cook over high heat for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, tossing frequently
- Remove chicken pieces from pan with a slotted spoon and keep in a bowl to one side
- Turn down heat to medium and add onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and dried basil.
- Return chicken pieces to pan and mix together.
- Cover pan and cook gently over a low heat for another 10-12 minutes before serving.
- Add garlic if desired - crush 1-2 cloves and add to the oil after removing the chicken from the pan and cook for 1 minute before adding the onion.
- Use fresh basil instead of dried or in addition - add towards end of cooking time and fold into the chicken and sauce.